History Of The Team
Nailsea Nighthawks Basketball (previously known simply as Nailsea Basketball) compete in the West of England Men’s basketball league. After playing casually as a group of aspiring players, we joined the WEBBA league in 2006-07 in Division 3, and during our inaugural season won 15 games and lost only 1, finishing top of the Division. We went on to win the play-offs, and earned ourselves some lovely silverware together with a promotion to Division 2. In 2007-08, Nailsea finished second place in Division 2 with a record of 10 wins and 4 losses, but went on to win the play-offs to secure the championship title for the second year in a row, and a subsequent promotion to Division 1.
In 08/09 Nailsea entered two teams into the WEBBA leagues due to the ever-growing size of the club and an influx of new players. The 1st team entered Division 1, and the newly formed 2nd team entered Division 3. Both teams finished mid table and showed some solid improvements throughout the year, especially considering the challenges they faced entering these divisions.
In the 09/10 season the club remained as two teams. The 1st team finished with a record of 10 – 10 in Division 1, closing out the season with an excellent win against the league winners, The Cavs, winning 70 – 56. The 2nd team finished mid table in Division 3 with a record of 8 – 12.
In 10/11 the Nailsea 1st team re-located to Winterbourne and Nailsea remained as a single team in Division 3. We had an influx of new players and a change in the structure of the team during this period and so have remained in this division since. More recently the league structure was changed and so we are now in Division 2. The team name was changed to Nailsea Nighthawks in 16/17.
Some key information about the club:
- During the summer (May, June, July) we normally have a more casual 1-hour session each week to stay active and to give new players a chance to play and potentially look to join the team. See the side bar for latest schedule and timings
- Full 2-hour training sessions usually take place in August and September. 7.30 – 9.30pm.
- All training sessions will take place on Wednesday evenings at the (fairly) newly built Nailsea School Sports Halls.
- During the season training will take place every week unless there is a home game, please check the fixtures page for details.
- Home games will be held on a Wednesday at Nailsea School with a 7.45pm tip-off time.
- Training sessions include a variety of offensive and defensive drills, work on shooting, individual skills and team play, and a 5 on 5 scrimmage later in the session.
How to Find Us
Nailsea School Sports Hall
Secretary: Brian Gleeson
coach and Treasurer: Matt Nice
Publicity Officer / Website: Simon Baker